A Traditional Beverage for Meals: Turnip Juice

You came to Turkey and entered a restaurant. You saw "Şalgam Suyu" (Turnip Juice) in the beverage section of the menu. Let me try to satisfy your curiosity and I've never even tried it, but based on a few different recipes, let me share the most likely recipe...

Salgam Suyu

Turnip Juice is a beverage identified with Adana, one of the Mediterranean cities. It can be purchased from supermarkets as well as on the menu of many restaurants. Almost all the people of Adana agree on this point: What is done at home cannot be replaced by ready-made ones.

Turnip Juice is sold as spicy (hot) and non-spicy. My advice is the bitter one. It wouldn't be right to say that it burns the mouth... There is a salt content of 1.5%. Therefore, if you have blood pressure problems, it is better not to consume too much. Apart from that, it should be said that it is natural and healthy thanks to its content.

As the name suggests, its raw material is turnip. Apart from this, purple carrot (interesting information: we say black carrot in Turkish) and beetroot are also used. To prepare it at home, you need 1 kg of turnips, purple carrots and beetroots. 2 tablespoons of bulgur flour, which is wrapped in a cloth, is added among the ingredients placed in a 15-liter can. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of food-grade rock salts and 1.5 tablespoons of citric acid (lemon salt) on top. We add 10 liters of water to the can and keep it tightly closed for two weeks. If possible, it should be kept in a cool place without seeing the sun.

When can it be Consumed?

The first answer will undoubtedly be Adana kebab. I can say that it goes well with all other kebabs and meatballs. But except for chicken or fish... (A Local Taste: Odun Meatball) In short, I think you will like it with red meat dishes.

Where to Find Turnip Juice?

It can be found in most restaurants. It is usually served in 300 ml plastic bottles in restaurants. Also, it can be found in supermarkets such as Migros, CarrefourSa, Bim, A101 and Şok. It is usually sold in 1 liter plastic or glass bottles. The most common brand is Doğanay, my choice is Serfresh. There are those who recommend the Ali Göde brand, but I have never tried it.

Comments

  1. Interesting matter as well as the juice itself about which it is reported. I don't think I've ever heard about the existence of turnip juice, honestly speaking, I don't think I would try it, it seems strange to me, but if I like it, there's no question who am I to speak ill of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment