Manisa: Kula Geopark (Hoodoos)

When talking about fairy chimneys (hoodoos) in Turkey, the first destination that comes to mind will be Cappadocia in Nevşehir. On the other hand, Turkey's first geopark is located in Manisa's Kula district. This national park has 80 scoria cones and 5 maars. There are also lava caves and lava tubes. It also features tower volcanics and prehistoric footprints. I think it is a bit difficult to visit the park, which covers a very large area, in one day. In this post, I will only tell you about the fairy chimneys area.




First of all, I should start by stating that it is not a popular tourist destination. Chances are, you can pass by. I don't know why, but these fairy chimneys are not very popular in the park in general. Honestly, I didn't really come across their promotions.



Manisa province is located in the Aegean. When you come to Izmir, if you rent a car or travel with your own car, you can visit this beauty of nature. If you are going from İzmir to Uşak-Afyon direction, you can spare at least half an hour for fairy chimneys.


Do not type Manisa in the navigation. It falls southeast of the city centre, and your path gets really long. Just write directly to Kula. Afterwards, it will be sufficient to write "Kula Peribacaları Tabiat Anıtı" in Turkish.


I've passed by it many times. Now I entered for the first time. There are information signs, camellias and viewing terraces. However, there is no security. Entry is free, there are no checkpoints.


Since there is no checkpoint, you can enter at any time of the day. On the other hand, I have no doubt that you will prefer daylight hours. The road is a little narrow. Therefore, I recommend slowing down as much as possible while cornering.


If you are stopping because it is on your route, you will not need accommodation. If you want to visit Kula for a full day, you can evaluate the hotels in Izmir or Uşak. There are also thermal hotels in Salihli.

Salihli is a district on your way. I suggest you try the most famous dish of that area: Odun Meatball.

Kula Geopark (Hoodoos) from the center of Izmir takes about two and a half hours. I would like to say that it is worth going to. Because there will be other natural or historical places on your itinerary.

By the way, I wrote in the first paragraph that it is Turkey's first geopark. I'm not sure, but I think it's also the only geopark in Turkey...

Comments

  1. very wonderful tourist destination, a new wonder of the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. very wonderful tourist place, a new wonder of the world, i admire your country very much, if given the chance i will try to visit this place at least once in my life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment