A Local Dessert from the Balkans: Torpil

Do you love croissants? If yes, would you like to try something a little sweeter? Torpil is a dessert that can be found in Turkey, Bulgaria and Romania. I don't know if the recipe is the same everywhere; but I suggest you try the one in Turkey.

Külah tatlısı
Torpil

Torpil means torpedo in Turkish. Dessert also gets its name from its shape. I've never even come across it, but it's called a külah, that is, cone

Both the dough and the filling give the dessert its taste. Its dough is like puff pastry; but I don't know if it is exactly different from puff pastry. A layered, crunchy dough and a delicious cream inside. Powdered sugar on top. Walnut or pistachio on the back side...

Torpil Dessert
Torpil

There are several recipes to prepare at home. It can be tried with products such as ice cream cone and puff pastry dough for the outside, and eggs, starch, flour and vanillin for the inside filling. However, I do not recommend it. Because I have serious doubts that it will be like in patisseries.

In the past, torpil dessert was prepared and sold in two different ways. The first is the one with cream inside as you can see in the photo. The second one is the one with creamy cocoa. I don't know why, but I haven't come across the cocoa one in years. Honestly, I would prefer the one with cocoa, but this one is also quite delicious...

Where to Eat?

I bought the ones in the photo from a patisserie in Karşıyaka Bazaar. If I am not mistaken, it is sold in all three patisseries in the bazaar. 

The product is sold in some patisseries in metropolitan cities, especially in Izmir. Interestingly, it is not a very common dessert; but if you come across it, you might want to try it with a cup of tea.

By the way, did you know about chocolate baklava?
If you're wondering, it's here: Chocolate Baklava

Comments

  1. Looks delicious indeed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very delicious. It makes my mouth watery. I love to try different foods. I also wanna try this. Your page helped me too in showing different foods thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very delicious. It makes my mouth watery. I love to eat different foods. Your page helped me too in finding different foods thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment