Northern Cyprus: Kyrenia Castle

Kyrenia Castle is one of the places you should visit during your trip to both Kyrenia and Northern Cyprus. I visited years ago; but I only have one photo left. I want to share that single photo and share what comes to my mind...

Kyrenia Castle
View of the castle from the harbor

The castle, which dates back to the 7th century, is located in the city in the north of the island. It is possible to see the shores of Turkey from here on days when the weather is not humid. To tell the truth, it's not much different from other castles you've visited. Undoubtedly, it is the exhibits that distinguish the castle from the rest. I think Kyrenia Ship, which dates back to BC, is one of them. That being said, I recommend taking an average hour of your time. In the meantime, keep your eyes on the ramparts as you walk towards the entrance of the castle. Big, but really big lizards caught my attention.

How to Get to Kyrenia Castle?

The castle is located in the most touristic area of Kyrenia. I think you can easily go to the port called the harbor, from the hotel you are staying in, on foot or by taxi. If you are staying in another city, you can take the bus to Kyrenia and then walk. By the way, if you want to see different places while in Kyrenia, I think you should rent a car.

What to do around Kyrenia Castle?

As I said, you are in the center of tourism. So what you can do is pretty wide. There are many cafes and restaurants along the harbor. I remember that world cuisine was at the forefront rather than local flavors. EziƧ Peanuts is about a 15-minute walk away. An ideal restaurant with its view and foods.

Located in the immediate vicinity of the castle, St. Andrew's Church and Agha Cafar Pasha Mosque are two historical places of worship you might want to see. Kyrenia Icon Museum is also very close to the castle. I haven't, but you might consider it.

For other contents from Northern Cyprus, you can check here.

Comments

  1. Kyrenia Castle offering a fascinating glimpse into the history of Cyprus, and the stunning views on offer to visitors, Kyrenia Castle is home to Northern Cyprus' shipwreck museum, the setting for one of the world's most important and well-preserved pieces of marine history.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment